Sunday, March 2, 2008

This Little Light of Mine

A trip to Lights Beautiful in Ventura yesterday ah - shed light - on this area of mystery. Way too many choices - cans and fixtures, CFL, halogen, LED, xenon, incandescent, undercabinet, warmth, color, T-5, transformers, Title 24, intensity blah blah blah. I will admit right here that none of this makes any sense to me whatsoever. I'm still at the evolutionary stage where electricity is nothing short of magical, and as long as I can turn on a switch and see better than I could before, I'm pretty happy. Fortunately I have Alan to interpret all the letters and numbers, and he seems to actually get it, or at least puts up a good front.

We were hoping to use the new LED cans that recently came out,
but because of our slightly sloped ceiling on the sink side of our kitchen (another architectural wonder of our very strange house), we won't be able to without them sticking out on one side (they don't yet make the LED cans that will do that). So it looks like we'll have several - 6? 8? fluorescent cans along the kitchen ceiling which will fool people into thinking our 2 sides of the kitchen actually go together (tying the room together nicely).

Then we'll probably replace the old fixtures in the family room with these perhaps, or something like them:
Then under the cabinets we'll probably go with fluorescent lights that look a bit like this:


I guess I have learned something. I learned how to spell fluorescent.

No comments: