Thursday, February 28, 2008

Old Kitchen, New Eyes

I never noticed people's kitchen countertops or floors or appliances. Whether they use knobs or pulls on their cabinets was immaterial. Island or peninsula? What's the diff? Who cares where they keep their spices or pot lids? But over the space of about 5 weeks, these have become crucial topics to me, and making the best possible decisions and finding ingenious solutions is now a part of just about every waking moment. Sleeping too, apparently, as Alan had a dream about Obama making important faucet decisions.

Now I notice faucet styles in movies. Streets I've been driving on for years are lined with flooring and tile shops I've never seen before. My own kitchen, which I rarely used without second thought for over 12 years has suddenly become impossibly designed, difficult to maneuver around, badly lit, and (gasp!) there's no dishwasher!

It's human nature I guess to make the best of any situation, but now that I no longer have to be so positive, all I see are the flaws!

2 comments:

Marina said...

I love the Obama dream! That's better than the one I had the other night where Dad disappeared for fifteen years, then randomly came back after having toured the world in a Grateful Dead cover band.

Zack says don't forget the before and after pictures. Pictures are a crucial part of blogging to learn, even if you don't do the traditional cat pictures.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you need dog & cat pictures, your uncle Jerry will be glad to help out in that area....

So happy for you guys, I know you are making all the right choices. I can't wait to see the process.

Thx for sharing.